eduCORP Study Of USA
Education System in USA
In United States education, accreditation process is used to ensure the colleges, institutions and other education providers meet the required standards of quality and integrity regarding academics and administration related services. USA has thousands of accredited colleges and universities well known for their quality of education, programs of study, and their flexibility in changing fields of study. USA has the world’s most flexible education system that allows students to choose their area of specialization according to their interest. As the education system in USA is not centralized, institutions are allowed to determine their own program and admission procedures.
Benefits of Studying in USA
- More number of higher education Institutions with quality of education acknowledged worldwide.
- World top ranking colleges and Universities
- Qualified faculty ensures that the institutions have high standards
- Specialization in any desire areas of focus
- Flexible Education System in terms of choice of courses within a college / university during the course of study
- The quality of the research program along with the resources available
- Students would have first hand knowledge about cutting edge technologies coupled with excellent research opportunities
- Over 4000 Institutions offering UG, PG, Masters and Doctorate degrees
- Hub of Inventions which is known for its latest technologies and advancement in technical fields
- A wide spectrum of tuition fees, accommodation & financial help from the institutions in the form of scholarships, fee waivers
- Best investment for future and value for your money
- Financial aid, scholarships and assistantships for International Students
- Earn while you learn through 20hr/wk during their course and 40hr/wk during vacation
- Democratic country with strong economic and social background
Intakes in USA
The major new intakes in most of the US universities are during August /September. It is called Fall/Autumn semester. Most universities also admit new students in spring/winter semester which starts in January but less intake compared to autumn semester. Only few universities have short courses in summer which starts around June.
- Public Universities
- Private Universities
- Technical Institutes
- The Ivy League
- Small Liberal Arts Colleges
- Community Colleges
Undergraduate Degrees in USA
- Bachelor’s Degree (BSc, BA, BBA, BFA, BCom etc.)
- Associate Degree for 2years (Health Science, Computer Information Systems, Accounting, Hospital Management etc.)
- English Language Programs
Postgraduate Masters Degrees in USA
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master’s in Engineering
- Master’s in Management
- Master’s in Tourism and Hospitality
- Master’s in Computing
- Master’s in Accounting
- Master of Public Administration
- Master’s in Nutrition
- Master’s in Criminal Justice
- Pre-Master’s Programs
Research Degrees in USA
- M.S. in Educational Statistics and Research Methods
- Clinical Research Programs
- Doctoral Degree (PhD) Market Research courses
- Doctor of Arts (D.A./D. Arts)
- Doctor of Business Administration (D.B.A)
- Doctor of Church Music (D.C.M)
- Doctor of Canon Law (J.C.D./D.C.L)
- Doctor of Design (D.Des.)
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
- Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng./D.E.Sc./D.E.S.)
- Doctor of Fine Arts (D.F.A.)
- Doctor of Health Science (D.H.Sc.)
- Doctor of Hebrew Letters (D.H.L.)
- Doctor of Industrial Technology (D.I.T.)
The GPA system is followed throughout the United States to judge student’s performance. It is graded on the scale of 0 to 4. Following is the evaluation of GPA
|Grade Points||Grade Points||Equivalent|
Six Regional Accrediting associations provide accreditation in six regions of USA - Middle States, New England, North Central, Northwest, Southern and Western.
Whereas, National Accrediting Associations such as ACICS, AABC, ATS, DETC etc., provide specialized accrediting for various programs in technology, biblical studies, distance education etc.
Work - Study Opportunity in USA
A wide range of job opportunities and work experiences are available for international students while studying in United States.
- Many schools in USA offers Curricular Practical Training (CPT) program which gives international students an opportunity to work in paid internships position while earning a degree
- International students can do part-time work up to 20 hours a week during a regular session and may work full-time work during extended holidays, breaks and summer sessions
- Employment with both on and off campus companies
- Work-study programs for both Undergraduate and Master students
Intakes - 4 intakes:
- Spring: January/February
- Fall: August/September
- Summer: April/May
- Winter: December
Major intake is the Fall intake, but most of the universities are open for Spring and few of them for summer & winter intake too. However all subjects commence in Fall and only some in Winter and Summer intake.
English Language Requirements
All students must have the required English language proficiency with regards to the course. TOEFL score of 90 for Postgraduate and 80 above for Undergraduate studies is a decent score. IELTS score of 6.5 and above Undergraduates and Postgraduates studies is required. Over 2500 institutions in USA recognize the IELTS exams including several top ranked institutions.
Entry Requirements / Eligibility
- Undergraduate: 10+2
- Graduate:16 years of education required (10+2+4)
- Some institutions accept 15 years education into their Bridge /Masters Programs
- Good & strong academic background
- Good scores in entrance exams like SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, IELTS etc
- Strong recommendation letters
- To the point Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement, essays & resumes
- Certificates of achievement & extra -curricular activity participation
- Strong financial background or good grades to get a scholarship
- Covering Letter
- Application Fees
- Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- Essays, Resume
- LOR Letters
- Mark sheets & Certificates
- Bank Statement
- Affidavit of Financial Statements
- Test Score Report
Most colleges provide admission opportunity to international students without any prejudice. While make admission decisions, some may consider Early admission for those who have not yet completed their 3rd year bachelor’s degree.
Some colleges/universities offer an Early Decision admission, for which the admitted students need to commit to enroll at the college. Normally, such colleges take ‘Early action’ in notifying the students of ‘Early Decision’ based on which the students have to accept the admission offer and make a deposit.
TOEFL and SATI for bachelor’s degree
SAT Subject Tests for select Universities
GRE for Engineering Graduates
GMAT for Management Programs
USA Student Visa Guidance
Persons intending to take courses of study of less than 18 hours a week may do so with a tourist visa; otherwise a student require either an "M-1" or "F-1" class visa
Documents required for USA Visa
- Application form 156
- 2 Color Photographs
- Application fee 2160/- in favor American Consulate General payable at Chennai.
- Visa fee Rs. 3600/- in favor American Consulate General payable at Chennai.
- Rs.300/- in favor of T.T.Services (if dropping at Hyderabad)
- Rs.200/- in favor of T.T.Services (if dropping at Chennai)
- 10th Original or Photocopy.
- Inter Original or Photocopy.
- Graduation Mark Sheets (All in original)
- Degree Certificate or Provisional Certificate or Course Completion Certificate.
- TOEFL Original Scores.
- GRE Original Scores.
- Bank Statement Original.
- Passport Original.
- CA Report.
- Valuation Report. Affidavits. Photocopies of all
- Salary Certificates.
- Photocopies of all savings.
Time required to issue visa:
3 weeks, average
Duration of course of study, or up to 6 months, depending on visa type